Who can borrow from the MCC Library (& what do I need)?
1. Current Students: current Student I.D. with updated sticker for current semester
2. Current Staff: current staff I.D. card with library barcode
3. Active alumni: Alumni card with library barcode
4. Retired faculty: Old I.D. with library barcode
5. Active LMxAC library members: Current, valid library card in good standing from any LMxAC library. The library card must belong to the person using it. Additional ID may be requested in order to prove that the card belongs to the user.
6. Current faculty @ MCASME: currently employed at the Middlesex County Academy for Science, Mathematics, and Engineering Technologies.
7. Enrolled in the MCC Affiliate College Program: a student of Felician, Kean, NJCU, or Seton Hall who is enrolled for courses held at MCC Edison; need a printout of their college schedules showing the MCC class.
How long can I borrow them for?
1. All library material except DVDs and interlibrary loans: Students, alumni, LMxAC Library Borrowers: 2 weeks.
Staff, Faculty, Retired Faculty: 110 days
2. DVDs: Students, Faculty, staff, alumni, retired faculty: 7 days.
LMxAC library borrowers: DVDs cannot be borrowed.
3. Current newspapers, current magazines, bound periodicals: must be used within the Library (copiers are available).
4. Interlibrary loans: All MCC borrowers: Varies depending on policies of owning library; due date will be stamped on ILL slip when item is processed by ILL Dept.
Where do I return my borrowed items?
Borrowed items must be returned directly to the library. We have bookdrops in three locations: within the library at the Circulation Desk counter; just outside the Library via a slot in the front of the building, just left of the doors; and a drive-up bookdrop located in the lot just opposite North Hall in back of the Learning Center. When items are returned on days or at hours when the Library is closed, return dates are recorded as the last day the Library was open.
Maximum Number of Items Borrowed, rev.Spr.2012
1. All library materials, except DVDs and interlibrary loans:
Students & alumni: up to 10 items (including LMxAC Holds).
Staff & retired faculty: up to 25 items (including LMxAC Holds).
Staff members are not permitted to leave the library with material that has not been properly charged out.
LMxAC library borrowers (from other libraries): up to 5 items when borrowed in person.
2. DVDs: Students, staff, alumni & retired faculty: 4 items. LMxAC library borrowers: DVDs cannot be borrowed.
3. Interlibrary loans: Students: up to 5 items (in addition to regular loans). Staff, faculty: up to 10 items (in addition to regular loans).
4. Other Library items:
Mobile devices: The library has some e-readers etc. available for use. They can be checked out for a 1 week loan at the Circulation desk. There is e-book content on the e-readers. Ask if you need something.
Headphones: We do have a few headphones that you can check out as a Reserve item (see below) at the Circulation desk for use at the computers in the Library.
Renewals (All Borrowers)
1. All library material except DVDs and interlibrary loans: 2 renewals
2. DVDs: No renewals
3. Interlibrary loans: Renewals are only granted with the approval of the owning library. Borrowers should request renewal before the due date so their request can be passed on to owning library for approval.
All borrowers are encouraged renew items remotely using the “My Account” feature of iBistro online.
Recall policy -- Circulated items are subject to recall from any patron at the discretion of the library.
Reserve Collection Items
In order to use reserve materials, students must present a current, valid college ID. No other form of identification or collateral will be accepted.
Each reserve item will be accompanied by a slip that includes the title of the item and the name of the instructor responsible for placing it on reserve. Students who wish to use the item must record on this slip the date and time the item was taken from the Circulation Desk. The student’s ID or library barcode will be clipped to this slip and kept behind the Circulation Desk while the item is in use.
Reserve items may be used only within the building for one hour. They may be renewed two times, an hour each time, for a total of three hours. When a reserve item is returned, the user must indicate the time of its return on the slip. His or her student ID or library barcode will then be returned. Any instance in which non-circulating reserves are removed from the building will be considered theft. See below.
Remote Borrowing from Middlesex County Libraries: "Holds" (iBistro)
MCC Library patrons may also request that items found in iBistro but not owned by MCC be delivered to MCC Library. This is done by placing a hold on an item. You will be notified by telephone when the item is available to be picked up at MCC's front desk. See more info.
Users can place holds on items that are charged out or located at other LMxAC libraries, provided that the owning libraries permit the items to be borrowed. Users are encouraged to place holds themselves using the “My Account” feature of the library’s iBistro catalog, but holds can also be placed by Library staff through the Workflows staff interface.
In-Person Borrowing from Middlesex County Libraries
MCC Library patrons may use their MCC cards in person at any of the libraries whose catalogs are searchable through iBistro. Some libraries may not circulate certain items to patrons from other libraries, so please call in advance if you wish to confirm that an item found in iBistro is available and that you are eligible to borrow it.
Each LMxAC library will lend materials to library cardholders of other Consortia member libraries.
- Cardholders must be in good standing in all LMxAC libraries.
- Determining the status of a patron is the responsibility of the lending library. Access to patron status is available online and the lending library may call the home library to confirm the current status as the library’s practice and policy dictates.
- Each library may make its own decisions concerning what materials it will reserve and/or lend.
- Note: MCC Library does not lend to users with a Juvenile (children) public library card.
- Note: Loan period and conditions are determined by the checkout library's policies.
- Each library defines its loan periods and overdue fines, but circulation rules, such as loan periods and fines, at the charging library will prevail.
- Each library, lending and home, may reserve the right to refuse loaning privileges to a patron.
Borrowers may return materials to any LMxAC member library. Borrowers may pay for overdue, lost or damaged items at any LMxAC library. Damaged or lost items will include the replacement cost, plus any processing fee that may be assessed by the owning library.
Damaged items may be sent to the owning library for damage assessment by the owning library. Lending library staff may contact the owning library to determine how the library wants to handle the replacement or payment. The lending library should use the Mark Item Lost wizard to mark the item lost before returning the item to the owning library. This will add fines and lost charges to the item and will prevent the item from being eligible to fill holds during this period.
In the case of materials which the customer says he has returned but are still on his borrowing record and cannot be found on the library's shelves, the decision to mark the item as 'Claims Returned' will be made by the owning library. The lending library may contact the owning library and work with them on a case-by-case basis. The individual borrower is responsible for payment of bills for unreturned or damaged materials. Unpaid bills will not be sent to the borrower’s home library and lending libraries will follow their regular procedures to receive payment for these materials.
What is Interlibrary Loan?
Interlibrary loan (ILL) provides access to materials not owned by MCC Library or not available from methods described above (e.g. HOLDS). If you need a resource that we do not have, in most cases we can borrow or obtain it for you from another library. In turn, MCC Library lends its own resources where they are needed.
Who can use MCC Interlibrary Loan services?
All MCC students, faculty, and staff may submit ILL requests. Students must have a student ID validated for the current semester.
For more information and link to forms, see ILL Services.